Today's Blog Me MAYbe prompt asks me to tell you about someone else, and today on NA Alley I'd like to feature author and blogger Dalya Moon.  


Dalya is active all around the Internet in all kinds of great and fun ways, and I'm going to encourage you to check out her author website as well as YA Indie, a blog which supports Independent YA Authors. Dalya is the author five books: Smart Mouth Waitress, Practice Cake, Poke, Swarm, and Charlie Woodchuck is a Minor Niner. The first four she has classified as older YA / upper YA, and all five are for sale in digital format on Amazon.com. For more information about her books, or to order them, please visit her book page on her author website here


Dalya agreed to answer some questions, so now I'm going to turn this feature over to the interview portion.


Easily the most obvious question: what does New Adult mean to you, and why do you write NA fiction?


I hang my head in shame because I am a wimpy New Adult writer, not much of a trailblazer. I made the protagonists in my Life in Saltwater City series (Smart Mouth Waitress; Practice Cake) 18 years old, which puts them (technically, at least) just inside the boundary for Young Adult. 


To me, New Adult is out of high school, but not quite ready for M&M (Marriage and Mortgage). 


I chose this age range because it's a time of self-discovery, a conflict-rich era, and the reader never has to hear about homework and Chemistry exams and the protagonist being SO BORED IN CLASS. Ugh. I hate reading about kids being bored in class. I had enough of that in high school, thanks. 


What’s on your iPod (or Zune or phone or Pandora, please tell me what you listen to music on when you listen to music)?


I listen to an online station, Radio Paradise, because I love the eclectic mix, and it's mellow enough not to distract from writing. To pump up, I might play "Kiss" by Prince and dance around my office.


(At this point I, Bailey, attempted to find a good sound clip for "Kiss" by Prince, but boy does that artist have his music on lock down. No random dance party for us -- which is so terribly sad.)

Which of your books was the easiest to write? Which was the hardest? What did you learn from each?

My first book was the hardest, and each since has been less painful (I dare not say "easier"). With each, I learned to appreciate myself and even enjoy my work. Some writers choose the path of self-loathing, constantly berating themselves. I give myself compliments and laugh at my own jokes. I bet that makes sound like a jerk to some. I accept that I am a happy jerk!

What is your favorite TV show or movie (or both)?

I love so many TV series, including Southland (absolutely amazing), Community, New Girl, Girls (I've watched every episode twice), and I've been a Joss Whedon fan since Buffy was on telly.

If you had to choose one of your own books to have with you on a deserted island, which would you choose? 

I would choose Smart Mouth Waitress because it's the longest and I have a crush on one of the love interests.

So there you go, NA Alley readers, a quick feature and introduction to Dalya Moon. This hardly does justice to all the great things she brings to the Internet, from her books to her promotion of independently published YA authors. I had a good time emailing with her -- she's incredibly friendly! -- and now I fully expect you to leave our site and travel to one or all of hers. 

Tomorrow, Summer takes over on the Blog Me MAYbe posts and will be sharing something funny with us all. I hope you've enjoyed your 3 days with me and I'll see you around the blog. 

Also of note, Krystal Wade and Sharon Bayliss (the Acquisitions Editor for YA/NA line at Curiosity Quills Press) is hosting an Editor Judged Contest for a manuscript -- please follow THIS LINK to get the full details and submission guidelines on her blog, and then submit your work! This is an amazing opportunity for those of you who are query-ready.