Hey Hey Everyone!

Thanks for stopping by the Alley!

Today I pose a question to YOU. We've talked some about the differences between YA and NA and Adult and NA. For those who partake in NA Lit Chat, you've discussed it also. I'm not going to get into many differences between those right now... in fact, I'm only going to talk and ask for your input regarding one difference: THE LOVE INTEREST (may be the hero, may not be etc).

Take a minute and think. When you were a teenager, who did you have a crush on? When you were 15, who did you drool over? Who made you walk into doors or blush? Think about that person/persons and what sort of traits he/she had. And if you are still a teenager, please join in. Tell us the traits you like.

Now...fast forward a little bit. You're in your twenties. Who are you crushing on? What traits do you find attractive or are you actively seeking out? Or, maybe you tried to avoid it. Maybe you're with the person you were with when you were a teenager. If so, were they the exact same as they were when they were a teen?

Moving on... now, as an "adult" (late 20's, 30's etc), think about the same above questions. Maybe you married your highschool sweetheart. If so, think about traits they had as a teenager versus now. Or maybe you're crushing on someone. Or your engaged. Or whatever. But think about that person and the traits they have. Or, what traits you like.

Are they the same? I'm sure for some people they are, but I doubt that for everyone. Or maybe some of the traits are the same, but they've expanded and incorporated other things.

My point is this is one of the differences (usually) in NA and YA and Adult. It may not be a huge difference, but I think it's there.

Sometimes our "taste" changes as we grow up. We start to look for "adult" traits. New things start to matter also.

For example:
You may see this in a YA novel: the girl is all about this guy with shaggy hair who plays the drums. Maybe he's kind of angsty and doesn't like to talk much. And he may be the hottest guy in the book. Adults all over may like him in this novel.
Would you see that in an adult book? Kind of. Some of that may be there. But if it was exactly the same-- would it still be hot? I'm asking you, readers. I mean, if this is an adult book and the MC you are totally relating to is 30, would a character who is essentially the same as a 16 yr. old still be as hot?

People change. That's part of growing up. So what's wrong if we want to incorporate that change into our writing and reading?

I'll give one more example:
Some of the traits I liked in guys in high-school carry over to now. But very few of them. As I got older, I started finding things like "ability to communicate effectively" "Intelligence (that wasn't high on my list in high-school, ok....don't judge...) "ability to hold a job" "being responsible" HOT and SEXY. Sure, I still liked some of the things I did in high-school. I still drool over the "bad boys" in books and movies... and to an extent, in real life.

Think of it like this... I thought Angel, from Buffy and Angel, was super hot when I was younger. And, I admit, I still do. But I also now find Agent Booth (played by the same guy who plays Angel) from Bones hot. And the two characters are pretty different (and I don't just mean the fangs and undead versus the no fangs and alive part).

I think NA books reflects these sort of things. We still get a smokin' love interest or hero but they aren't the same love interest/hero we'd get in YA, or even potentially adult. There is cross-over. There's always going to be cross-over between all 3.

So YOU tell us. How did your "taste" change as you grew up? Do you still have the exact same attractiveness for what you did in high-school? Has it expanded, evolved? Was it different in your 20's compared to teens?