Eternal Starling by: Angela Corbett
Category: New Adult
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Pendrell Publishing
A love so strong, even eternity can’t separate them.

Evie Starling has lived a relatively uneventful life hanging out with friends, gossiping about boys, and driving her 1966 Mustang. All of that changes when she moves to Gunnison, Colorado, to start college and meets two mysterious men.

For centuries, Alex Night and Emil Stone have yearned for Evie—but they each have their own reasons for wanting to be with her. When both men claim to be her soul mate and tell her about an unbelievable past, Evie learns that she’s not the person she thought she was. Soon, Evie finds herself in the middle of an age-old battle between the Amaranthine Society—the soul protectors, and the Daevos Resistance—the soul destroyers. With a past she doesn’t understand, and a future rife with danger, Evie has to decide who she can trust. But Alex and Emil aren’t the only ones who want Evie, and her soul is about to become the rope in an eternal tug-of-war.


Hey, all!  Victoria here, and happy Monday!  I have a very special interview for you today!  But first, I wanted to announce some really great news for NA!  YA Author Jennifer Echols has sold her first novel under the NEW ADULT category tag to Pocket Star, a division of Simon and Schuster.  Read all about the announcement here! Congratz Jennifer!!!

Now onto today's post!

I'm very pleased to welcome New Adult Author Angela Corbett to the blog!  Angela's new adult paranormal romance, Eternal Starling, was the second--you heard right--second new adult book I ever read!  It's a great book and I highly recommend it to anyone that likes a little paranormal combined with their college settling NA read!

Along with the interview Angela has graciously offered signed bookmarks of Eternal Starling!

How do you get your hands on them?  Be one of the first five people to comment!  Just include you're email within the comment and you'll be sent one!

Now, onto the interview!!!

Why do you write/ support New Adult fiction?

I love writing for the 18-30 year old age group! So much change and life experience happens during that time of a person's life. I love being able to explore those changes with my characters, and hopefully make a difference to people going through some of those same situations.

Your novel, Eternal Starling, is set in a college setting. What are some common struggles that you run into when writing college-aged characters?

When I wrote Eternal Starling, I didn't know I was writing New Adult! The genre hadn't even been created yet. I started querying the book in 2009, and one of the main things I had a problem with was getting agents and publishers interested in it. At the time, my book was technically Adult because my main character, Evie, is a freshman in college. But, since Evie is still 18, it was a grey area. I can't even count how many people told me to rewrite the book and put Evie in high school. I tried, but making her that young really didn't work for the story I wanted to tell, and where I wanted it to go. So, I kept her in college and hoped that a publisher would eventually see what my beta readers saw. Smaller publishers seem a lot more willing to take a chance on New Adult novels, and Eternal Starling ended up being signed by a smaller publisher. As for writing college-aged characters, I think getting the voice right can be a struggle. I haven't been in college for ten years, and things have changed. I spent time on college campuses making sure I was as authentic as possible.

Your novel also has a love triangle. What do you feel makes a great love triangle to keep your readers guessing at who the main character is going to align with?

I LOVE love triangles. In fact, every book I've written has one. Even when I set out to specifically not write one, it sneaks in anyway. I'm working on that... :) For me, what makes a great triangle is that the reader is kept guessing. Some triangles aren't like that. The reader has an allegiance from the beginning and tends to stick with that person. I tried to alleviate that problem by introducing both of my male love interests (Alex and Emil) in the same book, and giving them both an equal opportunity at a relationship with Evie. Since Eternal Starling is the first book in a trilogy, my goal was to give the reader just enough information about both love interests that the reader would have a hard time choosing between them by the end of book 1. I really wanted to keep people guessing, and hope I accomplished that.

What kind of music do you listen to when writing? 

It depends on the scene I'm writing. For fight scenes, I listen to Korn and Linkin Park. Romantic or sad scenes, Adele and Florence + the Machine. When I was writing Eternal Starling, I listened to a lot of U2, and the idea for the book actually came in part from Gavin Rossdale's song, Love Remains the Same.

What are some of your favorite New Adult books that you could recommend to our readers?

Some of my favorite books with characters ages 18-30 are: Fever Series, by Karen Marie Moning; Study Series, by Maria V. Snyder; Shifters Series, by Rachel Vincent; and Tiger's Curse Series, by Colleen Houck.

What do you see happening in the future for New Adult fiction?

I think it will keep growing! Smaller publishers have really taken the genre under their wing and are building it. Publishers like Entangled and Spencer Hill Press are specifically looking for New Adult titles. I think it's really exciting, and let's authors and readers explore the important time between YA and Adult. I don't see it going away anytime soon, and I plan to keep writing it!

Thanks for stopping by Angela!  And readers don't forget to comment for a signed bookmark of Eternal Starling!


About the Author:

As a child, Angela Corbett’s most prized possession was a set of read-along books. She used to follow along with the narrator on the stereo and dream of when she would be able to read by herself. Her childhood reading habit led her to consider her future career. However, after consulting with her parents, she realized she had already exceeded hobbit height and since fairies and dragonslayers were tricky jobs to get, she decided she wanted to create worlds of her own. She started writing poetry in elementary school and worked as a journalist in high school and college, but could never leave her love for writing fiction behind.

She is a graduate of Westminster College where she double majored in communication and sociology. She has worked as a journalist, freelance writer, and director of communications and marketing. She loves classic cars, traveling, and escaping in a good book. She lives in Utah with her incredibly supportive husband and their five-pound Pomeranian, Pippin, whose following of fangirls could rival Justin Bieber's.

Eternal Starling is her debut novel and the first book in the Emblem of Eternity trilogy.

Twitter

Don't forget to join me on Twitter this Thursday night for NaLitChat!