Welcome Renee Trofé to the Alley!

~~~

A few months back, I settled at my computer with my customary morning cup of java, and opened my email to find a new post from NA Alley just waiting to be opened. I have to admit, I get a little giddy each time I see a new message from NA Alley in my inbox, and I couldn’t wait to open it and see what was new within the world of New Adult (NA).  Upon opening it, I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2013 NA Survey just waiting for me--little ole’ me--to fill out as a contributor. Finally, it was my time to voice my opinion, as both an NA reader and writer. I honestly don’t know what excited me more: the thought that I could contribute to a survey where my thoughts would be tallied and recorded, or the anticipation of reading the results of all my fellow NA lovers out there. Without hesitation, I carefully filled out the survey as opening and honestly as possible, including what else I would like to see within the NA category, what changes I hoped for, and so on. Then, over the following months, I impatiently waited for the results to see where I stood, and most of all -- if anyone else out there felt the same.

Although I devour New Adult books, I must admit, I had been growing tired of the cookie cutter image that some NA seemed to encompass. The thought of an aspiring NA reader doing a Google search to learn more about New Adult frightened me. Surely, he or she might run across some of the more popular blog posts out there that spoof NA,  such as ‘How to write the typical New Adult novel’. If you stalk all things new adult, such as me, then I’m sure you’ve read some of the articles out there claiming that New Adult is just sexed up Young Adult or just your typical good girl/bad boy romance. 

Personally, I love the New Adult category, and I admire it for being just that, a category. So, I thought to myself, If New Adult is an actual category, just as Young Adult or  Contemporary Romance are categories, then who’s to say how any one author needs to write his or her NA book? It’s not like there is a manual out there that says, “If you want to write in the New Adult category, you have to include A, B and C, and refrain from including X, Y and Z.” What gives anyone the right to say what each new adult book should or should not contain? If you are sticking to the thought that NA is a category for the transitioning years between adolescence and adulthood, then there is room for several different options of what a New Adult book could entail. 

So there I sat, typing away, filling the page with thoughts of what I would like to see more or less of. In a nutshell, I wanted to read NA books that were less cliché, I wanted to read authors who would branch out of what they thought the readers wanted to read and instead write about real-life issues with brutal honesty. I wanted to see covers that were not all the same. You’ve seen the countless covers with the beefed up, tattooed, shirtless guy. They are hot, don't get me wrong, but must every cover be so standard? I spent quite some time carefully completing each section before I finally hit “send” and sent my answers off to be calculated amongst all the others who were waiting to have his or her ‘say’ in the future of NA.

When the results finally came rolling in (thank you NA Alley for taking the time to tally them up!) I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was not alone. As it turns out, there are several other NA lovers out there that feel the same as I do.NA Alley even took the time to cut and paste several of the surveyor’s written comments into the survey results (Yep, mine are in there too), and reading through the comments made me feel more connected to the NA community as ever. Several of us united to voice our opinions for the future of New Adult, and I believe that is why NA is growing more diverse as time goes on. NA authors are branching out, and for that, NA is evolving each and every day. Because we, as the readers and writers of NA, are a community with a voice, opinions, and we deserve to be heard.

Ultimately, do I feel there is room for change in New Adult? My answer is a resounding YES! As readers and writers of NA alike, I encourage you to take risks with your choices, branch out, and keep an open mind as this category evolves into what it may. There is room for all types of writing styles within NA, and although there are many who will always be a sucker for the bad boy/good girl romance (myself included), there are many who will be drawn to real-life topics, honesty and controversy. 

So, you may ask, what’s the future of New Adult? I don’t think any one person can say (I’m surely not psychic) but what I do know is that I am along for the ride. I love the NA community, and I can’t wait to see where this journey takes us. Thank you NA Alley for providing a platform to unite, be heard, and help mold the future of New Adult.  

Shine on,
Renee Trofé
Author of One Night with Molly





Renee Trofé spent most of her life as a 'Jane of all Trades' before finally settling on her first true love—writing. After struggling to find her calling throughout most of her twenty-something years, Renee vowed to embrace her thirties as a time to follow her bliss and peruse her passions, which ultimately led her to return to college to study Creative Writing and Journalism. Her guilty pleasure is devouring New Adult books, and she particularly enjoys reading contemporary romance.

As the debut New Adult author of One Night with Molly, Renee describes her writing style as a bit more risqué. She is not afraid to tackle real-life issues such as drug use and sex, and in turn, she can appreciate an author who ventures into controversial topics as well.

When she is not writing, Renee can be found at the beach, nose deep in her Kindle. She shares a home with her fiancé and their mini dachshund, Lola.




Cheers,